Escaped Ink publishes original flash fiction and creative non-fiction of up to 500 words, written in the English language, in print, eBook and audio format. Whether you’re brand new to writing or a seasoned author, we consider all submissions alike.
We are a safe and inclusive space, celebrating diversity, and the literature we publish reflects our stance. Whilst we read all submissions blind, we especially welcome work from LGBTQ+, disabled or BAME writers.
We love writing that make us stop in our tracks, through theme or use of language. Your work doesn’t have to end with a twist or surprise but we do want complete vignettes—show us adversity, change or a new perspective.
If in doubt, please ask or check the appropriate submission call page. If you’re looking for the submission form button, it has been moved to each individual call.
What you need to know
- We publish all our works in print and eBook formats and aim to produce them as audiobooks too.
- We do not currently pay for microfiction anthologies. For other publications, we are a token paying market; it won’t pay your rent, although we’d love to pay higher rates and are working on it. Our current rate is £1GBP per accepted piece plus a digital copy of the work in which you’re published. We will also try to offer author discounts on print copies.
- We pay by PayPal only and we pay their fees. If you are unable to accept payment by PayPal, we cannot accept your submission.
- We accept submissions from authors of any nationality; the only stipulation is that you have a PayPal account you can receive money to.
- Submission is always free.
- We promote you as an author and ask that you also promote your own work.
- We consider all work on a ‘first-come first-served’ basis, although if you donate to our tip jar on the submissions form, you can jump the queue.
- We only accept submissions via our online form. You can find this on the relevant call for submission page.
- We accept submissions in US or UK English.
- We do accept multiple submissions—maximum of 2 per anthology, or 5 for our microfiction anthologies.
- You retain full copyright to your work at all times. You can view a sample contract here .
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions—if your work is submitted elsewhere, please do not submit to us too.
- We do not accept unsolicited submissions.
- Please do not resubmit declined pieces.
- Do not submit excerpts from larger pieces of work—all submissions must be complete.
- We read your work blind, putting every submission on a level playing field.
- Whilst we will consider stories that include profanity, adult content, sex, politics or violence, these themes have to be contextual, not excessive and must have purpose in your story.
- We do not accept fan-fiction, work containing song lyrics or characters who are living figures. (Passing reference is allowed.)
- We may request revisions to your work for it to be accepted for publication and we will be specific in what we need. We may make very minor amendments without informing you, to bring your story in line with ‘house style’ or correct minor spelling or punctuation errors, but we will retain your author voice at all times.
- Please wait for one month before querying your submission; we try to reply to all submissions far sooner (current average is 1-2 weeks) but sometimes, life happens! If you wish to withdraw a piece because of the timing, please reply to your submission acknowledgement.
- If your work is subsequently reprinted elsewhere, please acknowledge Escaped Ink Press as first publisher.
- We use wordcounter.net to confirm your story is a maximum of 500 words, excluding the title. You can do the same!
- We do not accept poetry, erotica, YA or children’s fiction.
- We do accept (and this isn’t an exhaustive list…) Action – Adventure – Contemporary – Crime – Detective – Dystopia – Fable – Fairy Tale – Fantasy – General – Historical – Horror – Humour – Literary – Mystery – Mythology – Romance – Science Fiction – Speculative – Suspense/Thriller – Swashbuckler – Utopia – Western